Things to Do on Maui This Winter
With warm weather year-round, Maui is a great place to soak up the sun, even in winter. While winter is technically the rainy season on the island, the south side of Maui—which is home to the popular resort town of Wailea—remains relatively dry. Here are a few ways to make the most of your winter escape to Maui.
- Get a bird’s-eye view of the Haleakala crater on a scenic helicopter flight.
- Spot migrating whales from November through April on a whale-watching cruise.
- Take a cruise to Molokini and snorkel in the underwater crater.
- Embrace the twists, turns, and epic views on a tour of the Road to Hana.
- Watch hula dancing and enjoy traditional Hawaiian food during a luau in Lahaina.
- Go sea kayaking along Maui’s south shore.
- Snorkel through Turtle Town, a reef frequented by sea turtles.
- Hike through the tropical forests on the west side of the island to discover hidden waterfalls; take a hike on the east side if you want to avoid the rain.
- Try out surfing by taking a private or small-group lesson—both welcome beginners.
- Enjoy the white-sand beaches of Maui’s south shore.